On 2015-06-09 5:09 PM, Mark Côté wrote:
In a quest to simplify both the interface and the maintenance of
bugzilla.mozilla.org, we're looking for features that are of
questionable value to see if we can get rid of them.  As I'm sure
everyone knows, Bugzilla grew organically, without much of a road map,
over a long time, and it experienced a lot of scope bloat, which has
made it complex both on the inside and out.  I'd like to cut that down
at least a bit if I can.

To that end, I'd like to consider the voting feature.  While it is
enabled on a quite a few products, anecdotally I have heard
many times that it isn't actually useful, that is, votes aren't really
being used to prioritize features & fixes.  If your team uses voting,
I'd like to talk about your use case and see if, in general, it makes
sense to continue to support this feature.

I cannot remember a single instance where I or someone who I know has used the number of votes on a bug as an input for making a decision, and that is for good reason, since the number of votes tell you nothing about how severe a problem actually is, and everything about, well, how many people have voted for it.

I have however seen people on few occasions recommending angry users to "vote" for a bug, mostly as a way to make them stop complaining. I find that dishonest and distasteful, if not meant as a joke.

On the question of voting instead of CCing to reduce spam, I have decided long time ago that it is the responsibility of other people to opt in to not receive emails for CC changes if they wish so, not mine. I CC myself on bugs mercilessly. ;-)

I have heard some people use votes as way to only get bugmail when a bug gets resolved, for example, after having customized their Bugzilla settings. That is a valid use case, but it is at best a gross hack, and if the decision were up to me, I wouldn't keep votes for this use case.