On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benja...@smedbergs.us> wrote:
> On 6/16/15 4:16 PM, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
>>
>> We're working on making all of the tests green for GTK3. This means
>> that we could be changing the default linux configuration to GTK3 as
>> early as FF42.
>

> What are the advantages of the GTK3 build?

Modern features on Linux including HiDPI, smooth scrolling, touch
events and better themeing. The deep X dependency is also the cause of
a lot bad graphics performance and causes the Linux builds to lag in
graphics features. This is pain because Linux is currently the best
debugging environment because of rr.

> Is there a list of which
> distros/versions would continue to work and which would stop working?

No, but that's probably worth getting. Were currently testing against
GTK 3.4 which was released in February 2012.

> Do we
> have a plan not to update existing users who would be broken by the new
> builds? I seriously doubt we should spend a lot of time

No. I'm not sure this is worth doing. As I understand it, most people
on linux use distro builds.

> Are there issues with plugin compatibility in GTK3 builds?

No, we have a wrapper that allows plugins to continue using GTK2

> I seriously doubt we want to spend release resources on shipping and doing
> release checks on multiple Linux builds (I think we've even discussed
> dropping Linux x86 support).

That's what I've been hearing and why I'm suggesting that we might be
better off switching our releases to GTK3.

> In case it's not clear, I'm skeptical that we should do this.

Do what? GTK3? Staying with GTK2 is actively causing us pain and I'm
not convinced it's worth avoiding GTK3 to support old linux distros.

-Jeff