Good morning.

I have a use-case which will be difficult to reproduce in the post-NPAPI world:

The use-case is a Java/NPAPI applet which uses the javax.smartcardio library to
communicate with USB-connected contactless smartcard readers, from a web-page.
Extremely useful functionality for our customers.

Currently the applet will work in Firefox, Chrome and IE.

With the deprecation of NPAPI, we are looking into ways to continue offering
that functionality, and need to continue to target all three of those browsers
if possible.

For Chrome, I have looked into re-implementing the Java applet as a Chrome App,
or using NaCl/PPAPI etc. I have not found any equivalent technology for Firefox
as yet.

Chrome Apps can connect to USB ports via the chrome.usb API, but there is
currently no implementation of PC/SC for it (the smartcard access
specifications that javax.smartcardio is also built on). Due to time
constraints, re-implementing PC/SC ourselves is an option we would only choose
as a last resort. In any case, that would only solve the problem for Chrome,
not Firefox.

Unfortunately, no technology I have looked into so far to solve this problem is
able to offer the cross-browser support that Java/NPAPI enjoyed, and has an
available PC/SC library.

I flag this use-case for consideration in a future web-platform. I am sure we
are not the only company who have combined smartcard io functionality with the
web, and wish to continue doing so.

If anyone knows of any technology or open-source project which might be useful
for this situation, please let me know.

Alex Taylor | Lead Developer

[logo-291px]

T: +44 (0)1753 27 99 27<tel:+441753279927> | DD: +44 (0)1753 378
144<tel:+441753378144>
E: alex.tay...@referencepoint.co.uk<mailto:alex.tay...@referencepoint.co.uk> |
Lync: alex.tay...@referencepoint.co.uk<sip:alex.tay...@referencepoint.co.uk>
W: www.referencepoint.co.uk<http://www.referencepoint.co.uk/>

A: Reference Point Limited, Technology House, 2-4 High Street, Chalfont St.
Peter, Gerrards Cross, SL9 9QA

Right People. Right Skills. Right Place. Right Time.

Registered in England No. 02156356