On 07/14/2015 08:11 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:
That being said, every other organizations in the world is using the same
or similar tools and is faced with similar challenges. Lack of a
commit-skipping feature doesn't hinder other organizations from performing
major refactorings. So while I'd love to make the tools better, I don't
think waiting on the tools should be a blocker to mass reformatting the
tree.

This.  If blame is the only victim, and a temporary one, then that's a
pretty small price to pay.

Couple of work days per year for certain devs?
Perhaps it is a small price.

Also, if we just stick with the current coding style, large parts of Gecko
doesn't need to be
refactored to new style.

About using Google coding style, there isn't any evidence it would make new
contributors more productive, and
it might make old contributors less productive at least for some time.

But whatever we change, if any - since the current coding style is rather sane
for C++ -
consistency is what I care about most. It is mystery to me why we've still
written new code not using
the coding style we have had for ages. I guess that is where we really need
tools, enforce some style.

-Olli