On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM, Jeff Griffiths <jgriffi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM, J. Ryan Stinnett <jry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Paul Rouget <p...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>> I guess by moving things to /devtools/, you also want to update the
>>> URLs to chrome://devtools/content.
>>> So then, we can compile and open the devtools with non-firefox builds
>>> (thunderbird, b2g, seamonkey, ...).
>>> But if the devtools include browser code, this won't work. For
>>> example, we import
>>> chrome://browser/content/utilityOverlay.js, which is Firefox only.
>>
>> The main goal of this work is around making the DevTools codebase more
>> approachable for contributors.
>>
>> We're not explicitly setting out to make reusing the front end easier
>> from non-Firefox, but certainly moving out of /browser is one nudge in
>> the right direction down that path.
>>
>> I'm guessing we'll still have some browser dependencies for the
>> moment, but I'll take a look at this as I work on the file moves.
>
> That's correct. The use case is, again:
>
> * git clone devtools
> * ./nightly
> * point devtools source directory to the git clone
> * hack on firefox devtools in Nightly, reloading the source as need be
>
> Anything else can wait until later as Ryan suggested.
>
> Paul: are there things you want for graphene?

That would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

We use WebIDE for now, so the process of connecting the devtools is
not as simple as just pressing F12. It's just that moving to a top
level directory, it's 90% of the work. The last 10% is to remove the
few dependencies to chrome://browser/ code.

So while we're at it … :)

--
Paul