On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Ted Mielczarek <t...@mielczarek.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015, at 12:43 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:49 AM, David Rajchenbach-Teller
>> <dtel...@mozilla.com> wrote:

>> > So Dropbox, Cozy Cloud, etc. should be add-ons instead of apps?
>>
>> Yes. For FirefoxOS we're working on getting rid of installation for
>> "apps". Instead apps will be treated just like other web content that
>> you simply browse to.
>>
>> In this model it doesn't make as much sense for apps to be changing
>> the behavior of the user agent. Why would navigating to Dropbox and
>> then navigating away from it suddenly change the behavior of your OS?
>> How do you revert it?
>>
>> Instead we're going to use addons as the way that you customize your
>> device.
>
> I've been actually thinking about this exact use case recently (storage
> providers) and I think it would behoove us to figure out how to make
> this work for webapps.

I agree that it's great if we can expose this to web content.

I don't think registerProtocolHandler has nearly enough API surface to
support what's needed here. But if you mean copying the idea that
there's a function call which displays a UI prompt which allows the
user to accept/deny then that could work.

One important question here is once, say, Box has registered as
filesystem provider, does that mean that other websites can read/write
there without any prompts?

If not, who provides the UI of those prompts? Does the browser provide
that UI, or do we somehow enable Box to display that UI?

This also affects what the UI looks like at time of registration.

/ Jonas