Fingerprinting doesn't seem useful if the fingerprint changes every
few minutes as the battery level changes.

I do agree that there are concerns that if the user has
private-browsing pages and non-private-browsing pages open at the same
time, that the pages can track when exactly the battery level changes
and thereby figure out which user is using the private browsing
window.

So disabling the API, or fudging its return values, in private
browsing windows sounds like a good idea. The same applies to features
like device orientation, proximity/light sensors, network information
(wifi vs. mobile etc), device orientation and probably a few more.

/ Jonas