I gave a lightning talk at Whistler about MozPromise and a few other new
tools to facilitate asynchronous and parallel programming in Gecko. There
was significant interest, and so I spent some time over the past few weeks
untangling them from dom/media and hoisting them into xpcom/.

Bug 1188976 has now landed on mozilla-central, MozPromise (along with
TaskQueue, AbstractThread, SharedThreadPool, and StateMirroring) can now be
used everywhere in Gecko.

I also just published a blog post describing why MozPromises are great and
how they work: http://bholley.net/blog/2015/mozpromise.html

Feedback is welcome. These tools are intended to allow developers to easily
and safely run code on off-main-thread thread pools, which is something we
urgently need to do more of in Gecko. Go forth and write more parallel code!

bholley