Hi,

I started a thread with the same subject almost two years ago. The
motivation hasn't changed, but the context surely has, so it's probably
time to reconsider.

As a reminder, "dumbmake" is the feature that makes "mach build foo/bar"
sometimes rebuild in some other directories as well. For example, "mach
build gfx" will build gfx, as well as toolkit/library.

OTOH, it is pretty limited, and, for instance, "mach build gfx/2d" will
only build gfx/2d.

There are however now two build targets that can do the right thing for
most use cases:
- mach build binaries, which will build C/C++ related things
  appropriately
- mach build faster, which will build JS, XUL, CSS, etc. (iow, non
  C/C++) (although it skips what doesn't end up in dist/bin)

At this point, I think "dumbmake" is more harmful than helpful, and the
above two targets should be used instead. Removing "dumbmake" would mean
that "mach build foo/bar" would still work, but would stop to "magically"
do something else than what was requested (or fail to do that thing for
all the cases it doesn't know about).

Are there still objections to go forward, within the new context?

Cheers,

Mike