Hi all

I'm displaying some quite large (6+ megapixels) images using CSS background-image, and sometimes want to swap one for another. If I just change the CSS property, there is a noticeable flicker as the first image is removed, then the second image is loaded and displayed. I want to avoid this.

My current approach is to create a second element behind the first, load the new image in it, wait for a while, then remove the first element. This works okay but it's a total guess how long "a while" should be - 500ms seems to be a good amount on my machine with these particular images. So how can I detect (with privileged code if necessary) when the second image is ready to be displayed?

GL