On 20/11/2015 19:51, Till Schneidereit wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM, David Rajchenbach-Teller <
> dtel...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> It could be improved a bit, but the real issue is that JavaScript is a
>> high-level, garbage-collected, dynamic programming language, while C is
>> a low-level, memory-unsafe, type-unsafe, statically compiled programming
>> language.
>>
>> I have heard a few ideas floating around on how this could be improved,
>> by using a radical redesign of js-ctypes based on asm.js/WebAsm, but at
>> the moment, I don't think that anybody is working on it.
>>

> Reimplementing js-ctypes on top of TypedObjects would also work. But those
> still aren't anywhere near being standardized, so it'll be a while until
> that's a possibility.

A quick bit of googling brings up the Lua C API which is based on the
concept of a virtual stack.

[quote]
A major component in the communication between Lua and C is an
omnipresent virtual stack. Almost all API calls operate on values on
this stack. All data exchange from Lua to C and from C to Lua occurs
through this stack. Moreover, you can use the stack to keep intermediate
results too. The stack helps to solve two impedance mismatches between
Lua and C: The first is caused by Lua being garbage collected, whereas C
requires explicit deallocation; the second results from the shock
between dynamic typing in Lua versus the static typing of C.
[/quote]

Phil