Hi,

I am working for a webside which currently offers a portal page with ssl and
non-ssl version having a login form posting to a ssl-only login server and
providing the authenticated content ssl-only. Still most of our users use the
non-ssl version of that page.

In order to increase to level of security offered for our users, we are
thinking on switching the portal page to ssl-only using a redirect in the first
place (yes, hsts might follow).

After testing this, we realized that many of our customers stored their
credential in the browser and by switching from non-ssl to ssl, they lost the
possibility to use them also on the ssl-version of the portal page. It looks
like Mozilla Firefox being the only browser to behave like this and not using
the credentials stored for a domain when using the non-ssl version also for the
ssl version. This leads to many support issues helping the customers either to
reveal their password for themselves by directing them to the settings or
helping them to reset and change their passwords.

As blaming login forms on non-ssl pages even more starting with Firefox version
44, more provider of pages like us will probably change the behaviour, but will
find their users in that trap of not being helped by the browser. This even
might prevent provider with non-ssl login pages to switch being afraid of the
support volumnes they are expected to handle.

Are there any chances to help the user using the stored credentials on the
serverside?

Would be happy to get some help on that issue from the community.

Best regards,
Thomas Schäfer