Another data point that we seem to have overlooked is that users want to be
able to side load their extensions for many different reasons. We see this
with apps on phones and with extensions currently. I appreciate that users
have grown to be warning blind but, as others have pointed out, this feels
like a sure way to have users move from us to Chrome if there extension
lives there too. Once they are lost it will be non-trivial to get them back.

My main gripe is that we will be breaking tools like WebDriver[1] (better
known as Selenium) and not once have we approached that community. Luckily
we have Marionette being developed as a replacement for them, and was being
developed before we started the addon signing. When mentioned I was told
that since it instruments the browser it can never get signed and we need
to get a move on or get everyone to change to the "whitelabel" version to
use WebDriver. Having spoke to peers at other large tech companies they
said no, they will remain on older versions and if it breaks then stop
support for it until they have a like for like replacement. They will stop
caring about WebCompat until they have a like for like replacement. We will
drive away other users because Firefox does work as well on their favourite
website.

There are also companies that have developed internal tools in addons that
they don't want in AMO. We are essentially telling them that we don't care
about how much effort they have put in or how "sooper sekrit" their addon
is. It's in AMO or else...

I honestly thought we would do the "signing keys to developers" approach
and revoke when they are being naughty.

David

[1] http://github.com/seleniumhq/selenium