On 2015-12-22 11:18 AM, Kartikaya Gupta wrote:
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 3:11 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
I agree it's definitely gone up recently, and agree that it causes a
lot of wasted time.  I'm not convinced about closing the tree,
though; keeping the tree closed for extended periods just leads to
big backups.

How about everybody reading this message takes a look at the list on
http://brasstacks.mozilla.com/orangefactor/ and takes one of them to
fix?  (Or, better, redoes the search filtered on the last 3 days
instead of last 7.)

I feel like a voluntary approach is likely to have very little effect,
given the way our goals and priorities are structured. There's very
little incentive to voluntarily spend time banging your head against a
wall. That's why I'm more in favor of a forced approach that is
mandated by managers/product owners/sheriffs (i.e. people who can
actually tell us to some extent what to do).

I have tried to volunteer some time from my weekends occasionally to look into the most recurring oranges every few weeks, and usually every time I manage to figure out a handful of bugs by spending a few hours and as a result OF would go down in the following week, but then it would go back up again. This is a demotivating task and doesn't really scale to the magnitude of our orange problem. I agree with kats that a voluntary based approach will not go anywhere.