On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 06:47:10PM -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
This is what I'm considering, though the channel implementation is not fully clean and does some front-end manipulation as well (for example, it adds a notification box to the tab with the current gopher URL, so it needs to iterate over open tabs to find the right one). It also has getters and setters for the load group and notification callbacks, and uses the thread manager to get the current thread to use as an event sink for the socket. Would all this work in the child process?

Many of those things will *only* work in the child process. You won't be able to iterate over tabs, but you'll only be handling streams that are in the same content process as your protocol handler. You certainly won't be able to get at the docshell of the window loading your channel from the parent process. You could technically still open a modal from the parent process, but probably not without running into problems.

--
Kris Maglione
Firefox Add-ons Engineer

Lisp has jokingly been called "the most intelligent way to misuse a
computer".  I think that description is a great compliment because it
transmits the full flavor of liberation: it has assisted a number of
our most gifted fellow humans in thinking previously impossible
thoughts.
        --Edsger W. Dijkstra, CACM, 15:10