On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmerm...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw the lightning talk you gave in Orlando in this topic. I was
> wondering if you considered implementing Transactional Memory for
> SharedArrayBuffer.

​I have not (or, not in earnest).
​

> JS seems like the perfect environment for TM. Are
> there reasons for 'only' providing atomic ops? Just asking out of
> curiosity...

​The use cases that drive this work are access to multicore performance
from JS as well as asm.js as a compilation target for conventional
multithreaded C++; actually the asm.js case is the more important one at
this time.  Hence the focus for this first version of the spec has been on
(very) low level mechanisms that can serve those use cases in
straightforward ways.

Personally I'd like to see us add additional higher-level mechanisms that
are a better fit for straight JS programming.  I'm hoping that we can use
the current low level mechanisms to prototype higher level ones, and
eventually standardize some of them.  I don't know how well we can
prototype TM like that - but it's early days still.

--lars