On 2016-01-25 12:11 PM, Fabrice Desré wrote:
Hi Ehsan,

On 01/25/2016 08:38 AM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

I have two questions about this:

1. What does this mean for Firefox OS specific code in Gecko which is
designed to keep some level of testing possible on the Firefox OS side
by adding hacks to Gecko?  Another example is hacks that we have needed
around Firefox OS's toolchain limitations (the gcc version requirements,
for example.)  Can we remove such hacks now?

First, what you call "now" will not happen until we setup the
infrastructure we need for b2g. I would appreciate you to send me bug
numbers for all these issues you're talking about.

Hmm, I'm not sure if there are bugs on file for all of these things. But an example would be bug 1197379.

Secondly, since I really don't want us to fork gecko it would be
unfortunate if people felt like they can just burn the house. Please use
your best judgment and talk to people before *knowingly* breaking us.

Of course.  :-)

My point wasn't about code that is needed for basic b2g support. I'm talking about situations that caused us to add hacks inside Gecko because of either partner issues or b2g timeline/release pressure.

For example, for a long time b2g partners held back our minimum supported gcc. Now that there are no such partner requirements, perhaps we can consider bumping up the minimum to gcc 4.8? (bug 1175546)

Another example, last year because of 2.5 release pressure where people were planning on using service workers in gaia app, we had to add a huge hack for "supporting" app:// URIs for service worker interception. The last time that this code bit me was earlier this morning. It would be nice if I can remove this broken code now instead of worrying about how to keep supporting it going forward (this makes fixing bug 1222008 more complicated than it needs to be.)

I'm sure others have similar examples to fill in.

2. What about patches that couldn't land because of Firefox OS tests
failing in ways the author couldn't figure out?  I'm thinking of
examples such as bug 1043562.  Can we land such patches now?

Yes.

Fantastic!

Just to double check, does the above "now" apply to this as well? IOW, can I land that patch right now, or should I wait for a future announcement which goes out when the aforementioned separate build/test infrastructure is ready?

Cheers,
Ehsan