On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Aaron Klotz <akl...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I'm looking forward to this!
>
> On 3/10/2016 9:14 AM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
>

>> A host of new C++ features should be available after the switch. Although,
>> we may have to drop support for VS2013 before those can be fully realized.
>> I defer to others to determine when VS2013 will be dropped.
>>

> There's even more goodness in the pipe for Update 2. I know we need to
> move from VS2013 to VS2015 first, but do you anticipate a timely transition
> to Update 2 when it is released, or will that need to wait for a while?

One of the things we're doing as part of the transition to VS2015 is
changing how the toolchain files are installed in automation. There is now
a script that packages all relevant files (compiler executables, SDKs, etc)
into a standalone archive, which is used in automation. This means we don't
need changes to the Windows builders in automation: someone creates a new
archive with a new version of Visual Studio, uploads it to tooltool, and
updates the in-tree references to point to the new archive and automation
switches to the new Visual Studio version from that commit forward. In
other words, it becomes much easier to switch toolchains in automation.
This should decrease time to adopt new Visual Studio versions
significantly.