On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benja...@smedbergs.us> wrote:
> On 3/10/2016 5:25 PM, Mike Hommey wrote:
>> It's unfair to mention those populations by percentage of the global
>> Firefox population.
>
> Why do you think this is unfair? This is about making the best use of our
> limited engineering/testing/QA resources, and so what really matters is the
> total impact, not just the impact relative to the mac population.

I agree that looking at the total number of users is the correct way
to think about this.

There is some risk from a PR perspective though. I.e. headlines that
say "Firefox drops 25% of Mac users" would be unfortunate.

> On 3/10/2016 6:49 PM, Kyle Huey wrote:
>> Why can't we just not ship e10s to these users?  We have a number of other
>> populations we're not shipping to, at least for now.
>
> We did explicitly consider this option and ultimately rejected it. It would
> potentially buy us at least one more ESR cycle until next January. After
> that point we want e10s to be the only configuration. It comes at the cost
> of ignoring known issues already as well as a nontrivial amount of testing.
> Ultimately we don't believe this is the right tradeoff. It also prevents us
> making progress on other areas such non-universal builds.

My impression is that non-e10s is certainly something that we'll want
to get rid of, but that we are not certain on what timeline it'll be
possible. Experience shows that big undertakings like that more often
take longer than expected, than go quicker than expected.

If we can support these users for another year, then that's certainly
a non-trivial benefit in and of itself. And it might also give users
time to migrate to more modern hardware.

Obviously, if don't think that we can support these users anyway, due
to already existing issues, then it could still be worth dropping
them. However "we're going to drop non e10s support in a year anyway"
doesn't seem like a reason to drop these users now.

/ Jonas