On 3/12/2016 7:19 PM, Gabor Krizsanits wrote:

Seems like a tough decision for such a short time...  There were some great
points on both sides so far, but I'm missing the math. To evaluate the
cost/benefit for a decision like this we should be able to estimate how
much engineering time does it take for us to gain 1.2% new users and how
much does it cost to keep the support. My personal estimation for the first
is pretty high :(

The math is pretty striking: the problem is not so much about user acquisition but about retention and user engagement. We have no problem getting new Firefox users: we still have amazingly high brand recognition and get many downloads. In terms of retention, what kind of engineering effort do we need to do to keep users one, two, four, eight weeks after they've tried Firefox? In terms of ongoing engagement, the Firefox product strategy has us measuring and optimizing how many days (per week) Firefox users use Firefox.

Our basic product strategy is that by focusing our engineering efforts on engagement/retention of new users, we'll end up in a much better spot, both in terms of overall product quality and our position in the market, than if we focus on keeping small cohorts of existing users. That tradeoff of existing users for new-user engagement is driving our strategy with e10s, extensions, and other engineering priorities, and is the basis for this decision.

--BDS