> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 1:59 AM,  <bander...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > In particular, as
> > noted in this thread, you can't bootstrap off of either the current
> > version of Rust or the previous. This is actually a problem that could
> > be fixed in about one release cycle.
>
> Nice! I didn't realize it's that close to happening. I think it would
> be good to make "rustc stable N compiles with rustc stable N or rustc
> stable N-1" happen, then. It would probably make life easier not just
> for distro packaging but for non-x86/x86_64 ports as well, since those
> could self-host in a predictable way.

Agreed on all counts. We'll get this done ASAP.

On the broader distro policy questions: as Brian mentioned, we've been steadily
making progress working with distros to get Rust shipped *at all*, as well as
working through support for Rust applications. The need to update a package
like Firefox with a newer version of rustc more rapidly than the distro itself
hasn't been part of those discussions to date. This thread has helped clarify
the constraints -- thanks for kicking it off. We'll make a renewed push working
with our distro contacts with these goals in mind in Q2.

Cheers,
Aaron