On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So it seems there were some websites tried to use this, which made its
> usage up to 0.06%, but then they abandoned. All of the features above is
> used only in ~0.0002% of pages surveyed now, which may indicate its
> unpopularity. Not sure why it was ever used in 0.06% of pages, and why
> those page abandoned it. Probably Chrome team knows.

I'm suspect of those histograms as many of them take a deep dive around our
M49 release. Wondering if we botched something on our end -- I'll
investigate.

That said, now that we've had this out in the wild for a while, some
learnings and feedback:

1) In Chrome we've intentionally restricted initial implementation to apply
to subresource requests only - i.e. navigation requests do not get any
hints but can opt in their subresources. This decision was mostly a
defensive move: we didn't want to send lots of new headers all at once to
every site on the web; we wanted sites to opt-in and test their
infrastructure. However, as Jonas already noted, said mechanism means that
sites (a) can't detect client support for hints and (b) have continue to
rely on UA sniffing (both for hints and the values that the hints
communicate -- yes, it is ironic :)). This particular limitation came up in
most every conversation I've had with various teams experimenting with CH,
and was a roadblock for many.

Addressing the above would go a long way. If you want to follow along, see:
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/156

2) Re, CORS: this has been an ongoing discussion, but I think we're getting
close. Opened: https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/pull/258

3) Chrome / Opera / Yandex are close to shipping Save-Data [1], which does
not require Accept-CH opt-in; all three browsers will advertise Save-Data
whenever the user enables ~"reduce data usage" mode in the browser. While
it's still early, I can definitely say that removing the opt-in requirement
has helped drum up *a lot* more interest.

Aside: are there any user prefs in Firefox that could or should enable
Save-Data?

[1] https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/02/save-data

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 3:00 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> I continue to believe that negotation mechanisms that the layout part of
> the engine is aware of are superior to pushing the negotiation to the
> networking layer.

That may well be true, but as we've discussed before, there are valid use
cases where negotiation can: significantly lower the adoption barriers and
complexity through automation; enable better data savings; address the
myriad of UA-sniffing hacks that developers have to rely on today. Which is
to say, they're not exclusive, and I don't think we should consider them as
one vs. the other.

---

In short, based on the experience so far, the overall feedback I've had has
been positive, but we do need to address some of the shortcomings in the
current design, as outlined above. With that in place, I think we'll
unblock a lot of interesting use cases.