On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Chris Peterson <cpeter...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> * Sites that allow users to configure preferences without logging into an
> account would forget the users' preferences if they are not using HTTPS. For
> example, companies that have regional sites would forget the user's selected
> region at the end of the browser session.

This also applies to any site that does login over insecure HTTP,
right?  Hopefully this isn't the Alexa top 25, but there's a long tail
of small sites out there that lots of users spend lots of time on,
like web forums, which last I checked do not typically use HTTPS.  I'm
concerned that this change would significantly degrade a lot of users'
experience.  To the user, this looks like "In Firefox I have to log in
again every time, but in other browsers I don't."

Moreover, if a site has login over insecure HTTP, clearing cookies at
the end of each session makes use of the site less secure, not more.
It will force users to submit their passwords in plaintext at the
beginning of every session, which allows the attacker to take over as
the user forever.  If the user only logs in once and keeps the cookies
for a long period (e.g., 30 days), an attacker who intercepts only one
session would only be able to control the user's account until the
cookie expires.

Also, the user's password could be used to log in as the user on other
sites, because of password reuse, whereas the cookie cannot be used
this way.  These other sites could include banks, e-mail, etc., even
if the site being attacked is a small web forum or such.  This is a
much more severe vulnerability in practice than just taking over the
current session.

It might be possible to special-case login cookies, perhaps defined as
cookies that are set in response to submission of a password field,
and let them persist beyond the end of the session.  I would still be
wary of the UX implications of forgetting preferences, though.