We make considerable (and growing) use of ICU for various aspects of i18n support in Gecko.†

The ICU project is proposing to drop support for Windows XP and OS X 10.6 in version 58; I guess this will be released sometime shortly after Unicode 9.0, which is due to appear in June.

Markus (in the message forwarded below) mentions October 2016; I assume that's when they expect to end support for ICU 57.

So we need to decide how we're going to respond to this. Some options for consideration:

(a) Adopt ICU 58 when released, and drop Gecko support for WinXP and OSX 10.6.

(b) Keep Gecko on ICU 57 and Unicode 8.0 until .... when? AFAIK, we have not made any firm decisions regarding EOL for Firefox on these platforms.

(c) Keep Gecko on ICU 57 code, but update its data files to support Unicode 9.0. This would take some effort on our side, though _probably_ not very much.

(d) Push back against the ICU proposal to drop these platforms, and see if we can convince them to delay it. (No guarantees, though at least they're asking. If we had a specific end date to propose, I'd guess that might help our case.)

In the case of either (b) or (c), we'd also need to take responsibility for handling any critical security issues that are discovered that affect the no-longer-maintained version we'd be shipping (e.g. by backporting fixes from the latest upstream version).

Thoughts?

JK

† Except on Android, where we maintain separate code to support some features; others are simply missing.