On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 2:17 AM, Jeff Walden <jwalden+...@mit.edu> wrote:
> Using a library to do certain things we do other ways right now, in sometimes
> inferior fashion, doesn't seem inherently objectionable to me. So long as the
> library's internal decisions don't bleed too far into the visible API, which
> I don't believe they did here.

Note that the ECMA-402 folks have hinted that if Microsoft adopted ICU
it would make it much easier to expose a bunch of new stuff and have
been pushing Microsoft in that direction. Were that to happen you have
software monoculture, bugs that cannot be fixed, etc. It's especially
strange that a standards body is encouraging this kind of thing.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/