On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> > As much as I'd like us to get rid of <isindex> as soon as we can, I
> > oppose doing so without first measuring its actual usage for Firefox
> > through telemetry.
>
> Suppose we measured hitting the isindex special case in form
> submission. Would you measure the times we hit it or the session in
> which we hit it at least once?

Both are probably worth measuring, so that we can have a good idea whether
a small number of users/pages use this periodically versus a number of
users hitting this frequently.

> What would the baseline be? How would
> you decide that whatever the count is is low enough (assuming
> non-zero)?

The point of measuring the usage is mostly to get a sense of whether the
usage of this feature is "infrequent enough".  The exact definition of that
depends on our expectation of how infrequently this is used.  I understand
that we don't currently have a baseline that we use for removing features,
but that's because we've been very sloppy with regards to unshipping
features.  At the very least we need to make sure that a surprisingly large
number of sessions don't run into isindex, right?

--
Ehsan