On 2016-05-05 3:21 PM, Justin Dolske wrote:
How will a developer know when it would be worthwhile to mark their event
listener as passive? Do we perhaps log something to the console?

The Chrome devtools have two features to help with this: They have a checkbox for "Show scrolling perf issues" which draws annotated rectangles over those areas of the page that have non-passive wheel event listeners, and their event listener list explicitly marks non-passive event listeners with "passive: false". We could do something similar.

Both of these features are demonstrated in a screen cast Rick Byers uploaded at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-D_3yx_KVI .

-Markus