On 2016-05-06 12:26 AM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
FWIW, the crashes we've seen so far are from incorrectly emitted movss
instructions. This instruction is part of the original SSE instruction set,
which was initially unveiled by Intel on the Pentium 3 in 1999 and later by
AMD on the Duron and Athlon XP in 2000-2001. I'm not sure why we still need
Firefox to run on processors manufactured in the 90s.
Per an IRC conversation with chutten, Firefox users on CPUs that do not support SSE are 0.015% of our user base. (compared to 0.4% for no-SSE2). A third of those are on otherwise-unsupported configurations (pre-SP3 XP, etc), this work provides continuity of support to 0.01% of our users.

- mhoye

09:59 <chutten> So, to put it clearly and precisely, of the Firefox Population in release and beta who are reporting at least base telemetry collection on machines running supported configurations, only 0.01% cannot definitively say they have SSE. 10:00 <chutten> (according to a 1% random sample as stored in the longitudinal dataset)