Hi everybody,

during the last couple of month, the sandboxing team worked on getting our
seccomp whitelist to a state that allowed us to enable seccomp on nightly
for Linux desktop users.

Our current sandboxing efforts can be tracked through the wiki at:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandbox
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandbox/Milestones

Yesterday, the last bug was resolved which blocked us from enabling it. I
am writing to this mailing list to let you know that we will enable seccomp
on nightly for Linux desktop today or tomorrow. (Bug 742434, patches are
currently on inbound)

We performed a lot of tests throughout the last couple of month to keep the
breakage to a minimum, however, we can't test all possible edge cases and
hope to find out more about possible breakage by enabling it on nightly.

It is important to keep in mind that the current sandbox state is only a
very minor improvement, the whitelist contains a lot of potentially
dangerous system calls (for example sys_open). But before we start to work
on tightening the whitelist we first need to see if it even works in the
current state without crashing Firefox.

If you encounter a crash that may be due to seccomp, please file a bug in
bugzilla and block Bug 1280415, we use it to track issues experienced on
nightly.

While we work on fixing the issue, it is also possible to disable seccomp
again by setting

security.sandbox.content.level = 0

in about:config. This way everything should be back to normal.

You can also join #boxing on IRC if you have any questions.

Thanks
Julian