On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 6:53:45 AM UTC-7, Mike Conley wrote:
> Is the firstPaint timestamp in nsIAppStartup's getStartupInfo[1] not
> sufficient? It's apparently recording the time that firstPaint occurred.
> I think you're already aware of this, but I'm in the process of
> modifying ts_paint to record the delta between the firstPaint timestamp
> and the process start timestamp in bug 1287938.
>
> If it's not sufficient, I'd like to understand why.

If I understand correctly, firstPaint from getStartupInfo will tell me when the
first paint of the window occured.

But since I'm operating in a document (I'm working on about:support document),
I'm looking for the firstPaint of the document, not the whole browser window.

So, what I'm looking for is something like "performance.timing.firstPaint" for
each document.

Am I missing something?

> As for MozAfterPaint firing all over the place - you might find this
> useful:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mozilla.dev.platform/MozAfterPaint/mozilla.dev.platform/pCLwWdYc_GY/j9A-vWm3AgAJ
>
> See the second example I wrote in
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Events/MozAfterPaint#Example
>
> Is any of that helpful?

That seems helpful!

If I understand correctly, I can take the transaction Id at DOMContentLoaded
(or DOMInteractive?) and assume that the first paint with the transaction ID
higher than that is the paint that flashed the document.

Then, if my code modifies DOM after that paint, I will reflow/flash.

Is that a correct assumption?

zb.