On August 17, 2016 at 5:02:07 PM, Anne van Kesteren (ann...@annevk.nl) wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 6:48 AM, wrote:
> > There is consensus that .query() is beneficial, so that one can remain.
>
> Is there really?

Well, the use case at least: that a developer should not need to
actually invoke the API to check if permission has been granted.

> The main problem with query as I see it is that since we haven't
> agreed on what permissions are keyed on, an application cannot really
> do anything with the answer it gets from query. E.g., communicating
> the answer with other open tabs and then attempting to use the
> permission there is futile for certain permissions. That kind of thing
> would only work if they are all origin-keyed, but some are per
> session, some are scoped to the top-level browsing context, etc.

Well, it covers the 80% case (specially on mobile, where tabs are not
at useful). But yeah...  the model is not there :(

We should maybe also pref .query() too... wdyt?

> (I support not exposing revoke() though. Was there even an intent to
> ship for that?)

I think it slipped through with:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.platform/7RnCrXoXdG4/Oy84atEoKgAJ

We might need to be more careful in the future about granularity of
intent to ship to particular methods.