On Monday 2016-08-29 17:21 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> The W3C is proposing a revised charter for:
>
>   Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) Working Group
>   https://www.w3.org/Style/2016/css-2016.html
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2016Aug/0000.html
>
> Mozilla has the opportunity to send comments or objections through
> this Friday, September 2.
>
> Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
> say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
> support or oppose it.

Nobody else replied, so I wrote the following (the deadline was
extended to today):

While the CSS WG continues to produce a number of important
specifications, it has remained weak at getting good input from all of
the relevant constituencies.  This isn't necessarily something that the
charter can fix, but I think it is worth pointing out.  Some
impromevents that would help with this are fixing some of the problems
that scare participants away; for example, spending large meetings on
very technical details that many people aren't interested in, thus
scaring off people who have important things to say about bigger-picture
issues but aren't interested in the most detailed discussions.  (This
may even be helped by improvements already present in this charter.)

Some of the more speculative Houdini specs are not listed as
deliverables in the charter, but it seems they should be.  (CSS Layout
API, Box Tree API, and maybe also CSS Parser API and Font Metrics API)

I also *think* the group has agreed to rename the Motion Path spec
(listed in the charter as motion-1) as part of merging its uses with
some requirements for CSS Round Display; the charter should be updated
to reflect the new name (which I don't currently recall).

I'm also not entirely happy about the implication of the sentence "This
avoids waiting for the next weekly call, if consensus can be determined
before then." in the Decision Policy section; it seems to imply that the
only value of asynchronous decision making is to make decisions faster.
Asynchronous decision making can also help to include those who would be
left out by a synchronous decision making process.  I think it would be
an improvement to just drop the sentence.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.