On 10/11/16 1:23 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
But given that it is worthwhile to advance snapshots of stable
features to Recommendation every so often, is there a reason to
oppose this particular snapshot, even though it's not a suitable
target for implementation?

I think the main reason I'm wary of publishing a Recommendation based on this snapshot is that there are known things in there that are broken and just haven't been fixed yet due to lack of editor bandwidth.

For example, we know for a fact that the editor's draft will be fairly incompatible with this snapshot a few months from now (assuming everything goes as planned), necessitating changes to a number of webidl-using specifications to adopt some syntax changes to how mixins are declared. These changes are needed to get other parts of the document on a rigorous footing, as well as for basic clarity and sanity.

Unfortunately, the "unstable feature" in this case is the definition of an "interface", which is a bit unfortunate in terms of having an actually usable Rec-level snapshot... :(

There are other probably-unstable features (e.g. serializers, which no one implements in the specced form and no one is likely to) in the PR draft. I'm pretty sure this part I raised before when the snapshot idea was proposed.

I guess as long as we don't mind the snapshot containing stuff that we know we plan to remove, it doesn't matter too much whether it gets published, but then I question the value of publishing it.

-Boris

P.S. Yes, this is at least partly my fault for not putting nearly enough work into editing this spec. It puts us into a tough position where the W3C is demanding progress towards stabilization and that progress just hasn't been happening.