This seems to be a more specific instance of WoT.  As such, the goals
are much clearer here.  While some of the concerns with the WoT
charter apply (security in particular!), here are a few additional
observations:

Exposing the level of information that they claim to want to expose
needs more privacy treatment than just a casual mention of the PIG.

Websockets?  Protocol?  Both of these are red flags.  Protocol
development is an entirely different game to APIs and the choice of
websockets makes me question the judgment of the people involved.  Of
particular concern is how the group intends to manage interactions
with SOP.  Do they intend to allow the web at large to connect to
parts of the car?  The security architecture is worrying in its lack
of detail.

If this proceeds, the naming choice (wwwivi) will have to change.  It
is not OK to register a new GTLD (see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6761).  A similar mistake was made
recently in the IETF, and it was ugly. For people interested in the
gory details, I can provide more details offline.