Here's an attempt to write up comments to submit on this charter.
I'm not sure I understood ekr's reply to mt, though.  So corrections
and clarifications are certainly welcome.

Sorry for the delay circling back to this.

-David

We don't think the W3C should be putting resources behind
standardization of verifiable claims.  We're not convinced of either
sufficient demand for this or sufficient incubation of the technology.

However, based on the proposed architecture at
https://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/architecture/ ,
linked from the charter, we're very concerned about the privacy
properties of this work if the W3C were to proceed with it.

This architecture appears to propose a system in which verification of
claims leaks substantial information about a user.  For example,
presenting a credential that is tied to an identity of a user allows for
tracking of that identity across sites, which the user may not want.  Or
if, for example, a site accepts claims from various government
authorities for proof of a user's age, then presentation of a claim of
age from the California DMV would provide the data that the user lives
in California, even if that was not the information requested or needed.

There has been substantial work on using cryptography to allow proof of
specific claims without leaking information, such as
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/u-prove/ .  However,
this effort seems to ignore that work and instead propose a design with
much worse privacy properties.

If the W3C were to pursue this work, we think it would be best to pursue
a system with strong privacy properties such as this one.  However, if
that is not done, we would be particularly opposed to a system that ties
claims to a single identity for the user, which would be most prone to
unsanctioned tracking.  However, even transitory and pseudonomous
identifiers can leak substantial information, contrary to the
expectations of the user (in the proposed architecture, the Holder),
particularly if some or all of the Issuer, Identifier Registry, and
Inspector cooperate to track the Holder.

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.
               - Robert Frost, Mending Wall (1914)