Hi Jeff
> I'm concerned about the complexity this will add to the SVG implementation
> as we're looking to transition to WebRender.
if WebRender supports currently implemented "non-scaling-stroke",
new modifications must be nothing more than recalculating CTM for those new
effects.

> Can the desired effects be achieved by interleaving HTML and SVG content
> today?
my understanding is CTM translations do work well with interleaving HTML and
SVG.

> e.g. It seems like introductory notes example could just use a
> separate SVG element that had fixed positioning instead of needing to build
> fixed-position into SVG.

By "introductory notes example" do you mean the example in following link?
https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/coords.html#VectorEffects