I thought I enumerated the harm at first, but I'll elaborate a little.

1) Flash doesn't know about and breaks our "current and subdirectory only"
file: origin policy.

2) Flash is a high-risk attack surface: if you can get somebody to download
a SWF they can probably own your system. We don't have anyone testing or
defending this effectively.

So we believe that there is significant harm in the current situation, and
very little upside.

--BDS