On 02/11/2017 12:28 AM, Justin Dolske wrote:
Do we have any data on existing content usage of -moz-appearance? Or
is this a "ship it and see what breaks" kind of thing?

I'm not aware of any data that would be useful here.  Data on how often
-moz-appearance is used isn't very useful since it doesn't say if that
rule also contains -webkit-appearance / appearance (which is what is
recommended).

So what we did was to look at CSS rules in projects in github, e.g.
https://github.com/search?l=CSS&utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=-webkit-appearance+none&type=Code&ref=searchresults
which makes it quite clear that dropping -moz-appearance in favor of
-webkit-appearance will improve web compat (if we assume these projects
are somewhat representative of the web).

Also note that any failure probably isn't catastrophic.  Say there is
a rule with only -moz-appearance:none, that form control will now
render using the native theme styling instead of the author's style.
(In some cases -moz-appearance:none isn't even needed, since just
setting a border/background turns off the theme anyway.)
So the control should still be visible and usable.

I'm guessing Firefox add-ons might not bother with anything but
-moz-appearance though,  but I assume those counts as chrome sheets,
so the property will continue to work there as before. (Please correct me
if I'm wrong about that.)

So I'm not too worried about dropping -moz-appearance.
I think the risk comes mostly from starting to honor rules that only have
-webkit-appearance:none in case that would make the control invisible
or ugly because of incompatibilities in other properties.  I think that
risk is fairly low though.  And Edge did this before us so there's some
evidence it works fine.

/Mats