On Friday 2017-03-10 07:46 +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
> I'd argue some of this commit message should actually be in the
> code comment.

Yes.  The commit message should be largely about *change* (how this
revision of code is different from earlier ones), that is, what is
changing, why it's changing, what justifies that the change is safe,
how other code needs to adapt to the change.  The comments in the
code should be about the static state of the code (that is, state as
of the new revision, rather than across revisions), including what
justifies that the code is correct, safe, etc.

Information about why the static state of the code is correct is
better placed in comments than the commit message, although if the
patch is large it may need to summarize, or point to particular
comments (e.g., "see the comment in Foo.h for a full description of
these new methods").

-David

--
๐„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   ๐„‚