I'd like to encourage you to set up a test plan for this. My impression of
the risk profile of this work is that we could easily break some really
important use-cases, and it's likely that sites customize for gecko
behavior and rely on it, either accidentally or on purpose. This is
definitely the kind of thing that would be worth rolling out carefully and
perhaps slowly. Will this behavior be behind a pref which is easy to flip,
test, and roll out?

--BDS