On Monday 2017-04-17 23:20 -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 4/17/17 10:45 PM, Jim Blandy wrote:
> > It seems like there is actually not a consensus on this. (I had thought
> > Smaug's view was the consensus, and found bz's post surprising.)
>
> Really?  I know where Olli is coming from, but even in his view a commit
> message like the one I was talking about is not OK, I'm pretty sure.
>
> And note that in this case the bug had no useful information either, for
> what it's worth.

I think one of the things we agree on is that the commit message
should be worded as a description of the code change, not as a
description of the problem that's being fixed.

There doesn't seem to be as much agreement on how much background it
should provide, although I tend to be on the side of providing more
information in the commit message.  I consider bugzilla to be
fundamentally the wrong UI for bug tracking as I described in
https://dbaron.org/log/20120816-bug-system and
https://dbaron.org/log/20130129-bugzilla and as a result I don't pay
much attention to the comments in bug reports; I mainly read the
summary.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,