On 2017-04-18 4:22 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
The last time I checked with the graphics
team, at this point it's completely unclear whether Quantum Render is
going to make it, and as such, it's not reasonable for us to depend on
anything that WebRender provides for Photon, because if QR wouldn't make
it to 57 then we wouldn't have a backup plan.

In addition, AFAIK, only about half of Firefox Windows users have GPUs that are compatible with WebRender acceleration. We need Photon to perform well for users stuck on the software rendering path.