On 2017-04-26 11:01, Gervase Markham wrote:
On 25/04/17 16:46, Eric Rescorla wrote:
This suggests that maybe we could just turn it off

It would be sad to remove a capability from the web platform which
native apps have. Surely we can avoid this problem without being so
drastic? Is it right that one key use of this sensor is to see if the
person has the phone up against their face, right? If so, reducing to a
small number of quantized levels would do the trick.

As far as I know that's a different sensor which actually measures the proximity, not the light level, and usually just has 2 values.

I have no idea what the light sensor would all be used for. One of the few things I can think about is that you change the color theme like a GPS does for day and night settings, which does not require a lot of different levels.

Kurt