On 05/24/2017 03:36 PM, Valentin Gosu wrote:
As part of the Quantum Network initiative we are working on a project
called "Race Cache With Network" (rcwn) [1].

This project changes the way the network cache works. When we detect that
disk IO may be slow, we send a network request in parallel, and we use the
first response that comes back. For users with slow spinning disks and a
low latency network, the result would be faster loads.

Should we introduce a bias, in order to favor data coming from the alternate data, knowing that the alternate data stream might be bigger but reduce the upcoming work following the plain data? The concern here is that the alternate data might be slower to load, but faster to process.

Do we have a way, from the nsICacheInfoChannel, to distinguish when data came from the network, as opposed to from the cache? The concern is that we want to avoid adding additional cost while try aggregate alternate data. Alternate cost which might slow down the execution speed after the network access.

Overall this sounds like an awesome idea, if the stream is known to have no alternate data, or to compensate the alternate data savings. Maybe we could provide some estimates for the alternate data savings, based on the mime type?

--
Nicolas B. Pierron