On 06/20/2017 04:42 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com <mailto:ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 06/20/2017 12:28 PM, Nathan Froyd wrote:

        On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Ehsan Akhgari
        <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com <mailto:ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            On 06/20/2017 08:34 AM, Nathan Froyd wrote:

                There is some kind of interaction with the underlying
                machine (see
                comment 104 in said bug, where the binaries perform
                identically on a
                local machine, but differently on infrastructure), but
                we haven't
                tracked that down yet.

             From comment 104 it seems that it is possible to
            reproduce the slowdown from
            the unstripped cross builds locally.  Has anyone profiled
            one of these
            builds comparing them to an unstripped non-cross build to
            see where the
            additional time is being spent?  I couldn't tell from the
            bug if this
            investigation has happened.

        My understanding is that the slowdown cannot be reproduced on
        local
        developer machines, but can be reproduced on loaner machines from
        infra.

    Huh.  That's interesting and even more puzzling...

        I don't think anybody has tried profiling on infra to see
        where time differences are.

    That seems like the obvious next step to investigate to me.  We
    should *really* only talk about stripping builds as the last
    resort IMO, since we have way too many developers using OSX every
    day...

I would argue it is in our best interest to have as little divergence between Firefox release channels as possible.
I don't think that's what this debate is about though, we should think about it in the form of keeping Nigthly on OSX where the majority of developers are (for the better or worse, and myself excluded, since I recently switched away from it!) as useful for them as it currently is, which means keeping it profilable with Instruments, Activity Monitor and other less popular tools, debuggable with lldb, etc. out of the box.

I'll also note that as far as performance testing differences between Nightly vs other channels go, we have all sorts of extra checking macros that turn themselves on for Nightly only and turn themselves back off for Beta and onwards, so when profiling anything on Nigthly you always know that Beta and Release in general will be a bit faster, and when discovering issues sometimes you will see that the root cause will go away once a channel switch happens. So even by stripping symbols from Nightly it still wouldn't be very close to Beta and Release for the purpose of performance testing, and that's a fact of life we'll have to live with. :-)

Cheers,
Ehsan