On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Kris Maglione <kmagli...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> Combined with the fact that I would have needed to find and dig through
> various scattered mailing list posts and wiki pages, and then pester a
> bunch of people by email or IRC just to get started, I've always given up
> the idea pretty quickly.

This is by far the biggest obstacle for me. I guess the right approach here
is to take the time to walk someone through from the very beginning and
document the areas where it was not trivial how to progress (talking about
gecko development in Rust not general Rust). And iterate that a few times.
The lack of experience in the area and the sub-optimal tooling will result
a huge overhead in developer time for anyone new in this area especially
for remote contributors. Trying to minimize that overhead is important.
Convincing managers to encourage developers to pay that overhead is also a
requirement (tight deadlines will not help there).

I have been flooded with work for a while, and it has been difficult to
find more time for improving my Rust skills in general. Encouraging people
to pick up Rust related goals and make it a priority to learn more Rust
would be also important.

Gabor