On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 05:02:23PM -0700, R Kent James wrote:
On 7/19/2017 4:06 PM, David Keeler wrote:
[dev-apps-thunderbird and dev-apps-seamonkey cc'd, but please discuss on
dev-platform]
Given all this, the question is do we still need this second API? Does
Thunderbird or SeaMonkey use it for any reason, or can we simplify the
code-base, reduce build size, etc.?

Thunderbird never implemented required code signing for addons, so I can't imagine we would need the API that you want to remove. But there is a lot of past history that I do not know, but I'm not sure who else would know better.

Thunderbird never implemented the new model for mandatory add-on signing, but it used to, and probably still does, implement the signature verification approach used by the old add-on install flow, based on object signing certs in the root store.