On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Freshly landed in bug 1411343, CI now produces JSON files containing info
> about how source files map to Bugzilla components.
>
> You'll notice a new "Bugzilla" task in Treeherder. It will write some
> artifacts to the "source/source-bugzilla-info" TC Index route. e.g.
> https://tools.taskcluster.net/index/artifacts/gecko.v2.autol
> and.pushlog-id.53952.source/source-bugzilla-info.
>
> Available artifacts include:
>
> * A JSON and gzipped JSON file mapping source files to Bugzilla
> components. e.g. https://index.taskcluster.net/
> v1/task/gecko.v2.autoland.pushlog-id.53952.source.source-
> bugzilla-info/artifacts/public/components.json
> * A JSON and gzipped JSON file listing source files without Bugzilla
> components. e.g. https://public-artifacts.taskc
> luster.net/c2fvXmqEQLy12DsWpXyKyg/0/public/missing.json
>
> The task basically runs various `mach file-info` sub-commands with
> --format=json (a new feature). This is all powered by moz.build Files()
> metadata, which jmaher and others have been curating for the past several
> months.
>
> The JSON files can be a bit large. So I'm not sure if it makes sense to
> actively query them for lookups. But it would certainly be possible to
> import the JSON files into other services, local SQLite databases, to
> facilitate querying.
>
> Given how difficult it is to run the moz.build evaluation feature on
> hg.mozilla.org (https://mozilla-version-control-tools.readthedocs.io/en/
> latest/hgmo/mozbuildinfo.html), I'm really tempted to deprecate that
> service or have it powered by these new JSON files. If you are using this
> service or need to obtain metadata from source files, let me know so I can
> figure out a path forward.

Quick update...

The CI task now fails if a file under source control does not have a bug
component defined in moz.build metadata. This could potentially bite people
adding new files to the repo or moving files around. But this is a good
thing: we want every file in the repo to be associated with a bug component
so we know where to file bugs. Add missing metadata is simple: just search
for BUG_COMPONENT in moz.build files for examples.

Also, we now produce a smaller "components-normalized.json" file in
addition to the original "components.json" file. e.g.
https://public-artifacts.taskcluster.net/JDLSmj2XQwmfgRpHUUKFTg/0/public/components-normalized.json.
This /might/ be fast/small enough to load on demand.