On Sunday 2017-11-12 16:11 +0100, Emilio Cobos Álvarez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In bug 1416564 I intend to remove the mozmm CSS unit.
>
> This unit is Mozilla-only, has no spec, and is unused in all our
> codebase (except for two tests, one of those which tests the unit itself).
>
> This unit was introduced experimentally in bug 537890, our browser
> chrome code used it in bug 588464, and all that is gone since then.
>
> Given there's no spec, and no usage in the wild as far as I can tell, I
> think we should try to remove it.
>
> Thoughts?

So I think this unit had a pretty strong use case:  designing of
touch user interfaces, where touch targets need to be at least a
certain physical size in order to work well with human fingertips.

There's also a risk from having physical units in CSS that we
learned the last time CSS had them:  designs that work with some
ratios of physical units to other units and break with other ratios.

I've been meaning to dig up the minutes from the time we tried to
get the CSS working group to add these units, but I haven't had a
chance over the last few days.  I think if those minutes suggest
that the working group was receptive to adding such units to the
spec (or perhaps even agreed to do so, but then they were never
actually added by the editor), I'd tend to think we should leave our
implementation, whereas if the minutes suggest that the balance of
working group opinion was against them, then we should remove it.
Would you be able to try searching for those minutes?  I know
there's been an in-person discussion (and I think it was at a
meeting at a TPAC a few yeas ago).

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,