On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Masatoshi Kimura <vyv03...@nifty.ne.jp> wrote:
> * If by any chance a profile path contains non-ASCII characters on
> non-UTF-8 UNIX systems, Firefox 57.0.1 must have broken the profile just
> like 57.0 broke it on Windows. But we didn't hear any such complaints.

Are you referring to
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/345fe119b8cf using
GetPath() on all platforms and not just Windows?

Experimenting in an Ubuntu VM, Firefox 57.0.1 indeed fails to save
prefs and history (but saves the HTTP disk cache and various other
things) if the profile path has an illegal byte in it. Additionally,
on Debian-based systems generally, adduser only allows usernames (and,
thereby in the common case where the home directory matches the user
name, home directories) that conform to the POSIX portable username
rules (subset of ASCII). useradd appears to have no such safeguards.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi